Love is in the air! Whether you’re into Valentine’s Day or not, we’ll take any excuse to have a drink – or two or three, since the cocktail we’re making today is low-alcohol. It’s a Grapefruit, Pomegranate & Cinnamon Amaretto Sour, with pretty cherries as a garnish (if you can find ’em – but if you can’t this time of year, no worries.). This pretty recipe is easy to make for two, or for yourself (hey, celebrating V-Day solo is totally fine!) or even a crowd of friends. Galentine’s Day, here we come!
Since we’re doing a low-alcohol version of the drink, we’re adding a few things to up the flavor: pomegranate juice and cinnamon bitters. Think of it as a subtle nod to those cinnamon heart candies! If you can’t find cinnamon bitters, you can sub by adding a couple pinches of ground cinnamon to the drink to finish it off.
Recipe: Low-Alcohol Grapefruit, Pomegranate & Cinnamon Amaretto Sour
Makes 1 cocktail
– ¼ cup grapefruit juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
– 1 ½ tbsp pomegranate juice
– 1 tbsp amaretto (you can sub whisky or gin if you’d like)
– 2 dashes angostura bitters
– 1 egg white (from a small egg – if you only have large eggs, use half)
– Cinnamon bitters or a small pinch of ground cinnamon
– Fresh cherry or grapefruit twist, to garnish
1. Pour the juices, amaretto, angostura bitters and egg white into a cocktail shaker. Give it a shake for a minute. Open the shaker and add a few ice cubes, then shake again for a minute or two until the shaker is frosty to the touch.
2. Pour the cocktail into a glass, making sure you get all the foam on top (to make it look nice)
3. Add a couple dashes of cinnamon bitters (or sprinkle ground cinnamon on top). Garnish with a cherry on a toothpick or a grapefruit twist.