There are few things as comforting as a bowl of chili on a cold winter night. It’s the perfect dish to cozy up and watch your favorite show or sports event. But chili is meant to be shared, and I love the idea of turning it into a dinner party dish with a few extra glam touches (hello, microgreens!). Nothing wrong with putting a regular pot of chili on the table, but trust me, this version will be your new fave.
First, grab some nice rustic bread to use as the base for your toast. Drizzle some olive oil in it, then toast it. Then add a nice scoop of vegetarian chili, top it with micro greens, cilantro, and jalapeños and it’s done!
This recipe happens to be vegan, but you can have a bowl of cheese nearby for any non-plant-based friends – remember to keep the crowd happy!
Recipe: Vegan Chipotle Chili on Toast
– 2 tbsp. oil
– 1 cup diced onion
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tsp. cumin
– 1 tsp. coriander
– 1 tsp. smoked paprika
– Pinch of cinnamon
– 1 tsp. cocoa
– 1 red pepper, diced
– 1 cup diced zucchini
– 2 chopped canned chipotle peppers
– 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
– 1 14oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 8 thick slices of toast
– Chopped jalapeno
– Lime slices
– Chopped cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, spices, pepper and zucchini and continue to cook until the veggies become fragrant and soft, another 5 minutes.
2. Next add the chipotles and tomatoes and simmer until the veggies are fully cooked, about another 5 minutes.
3. Lastly, add the lentils and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve on warm toast with jalapeño, lime, cilantro, and micro greens.