When you think of food for for a watching a sports game or any other gathering this time of year, you might think of all things gut-bustingly hearty: chicken wings, sausage, beer-cheese sauce, the works. The tricky part comes when you want to serve something quick, light and full of flavor. The obvious choices would be hummus or some sort of dip, but I think you can do something a little more special and cute!
So how about making Tequila Shrimp Cocktails? Yes! All you need is fresh shrimp, super tasty sauce, lots of limes, a few herbs and you’re good!
This recipe is super easy and is mostly putting together the sauce, then layering it all down in a glass. You can either have your guests assemble their own shrimp cocktails or you can have them pre-made in the fridge and just bring them out when people are ready to snack.
Recipe: Tequila Shrimp Cocktail
– ¾ pound large shrimp, cooked
– 4 limes: 2 juiced, 2 cut into wedges
– 3 avocados, diced
– Quick-Pickled Onions (see below)
– 1 bunch cilantro, torn
– Tequila Cocktail Sauce (see below)
Pour lime juice over the shrimp. Divide avocado into glasses, top each glass with shrimp, a lime wedge, onions, cilantro, and a drizzle of sauce.
– 1 red onion, sliced
– 1 tsp. sugar
– ½ tsp. sea salt
– ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
– ¼ cup water
1. In a pot combine the sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar and water. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling remove it from the heat and add the onions.
2. Cool the pickles to room temperature before storing in the fridge. They will be ready to use within a few hours.
Tequila Cocktail Sauce
– 1 cup good quality mayo
– 3 tbsp. ketchup
– 1 tbsp. mango puree (optional, but nice)
– Juice of ½ lemon
– 1 shot tequila
– 1 tbsp. sriracha
– Few dashes tabasco
– Few dashes Worcestershire sauce
– Salt and pepper to taste
Combine everything together in a dish. Chill until you’re ready to use.