Ah! Can you believe we’re almost done with 2019 – and the decade? When did that happen? I feel like this year I’ve loved sharing classic recipes, but reimagined. Maybe it’s that end-of-the-decade feeling… We did cheese balls a couple weeks ago, and hand pies before that, and now we are going to make piggies in a blanket for New Year’s Eve – can’t get more nostalgic than that!
For this recipe, we’re skipping the store-bought cocktail wieners. Instead we’re using freshly made Italian sausages. You could really use any kind of sausage available at your local market (fresh chorizo sausages are awesome too!). We’re also adding an extra touch of smoke and flavor by way of paprika and BBQ sauce, then sprinkling the whole thing with sesame seeds for a touch of nuttiness.
Serve the piggies with nice, simple dipping sauces like spicy mustard, sriracha and ketchup. If you want to get extra adventurous, try a curry ketchup to kick it up a notch.
Hope you enjoy this appy and happy new year friends! See you in 2020.
Recipe: Piggies in a Blanket
Prep 30 minutes
– 6 spicy Italian sausages (get them fresh from your local market if you can), cooked and cooled
– ¼ cup BBQ sauce
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 1 box pre-rolled puff pastry (450g)
– 1 egg
– ¼ cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut each sausage into 3 equal size pieces making 18 total. Brush the sausages with the bbq sauce, then sprinkle with paprika.
2. Next, cut the puff pastry to strips that are as long as the cut sausage portion. Wrap each sausage potion in the puff pastry, overlapping a bit on the bottom. For the size of my puff, 10×10 inches, I was able to wrap two sausage portions with every one strip of dough.
3. Place wrapped sausage on a parchment-lined sheetpan, seam side down.
4. Mix the egg with 1 tbsp water and brush onto each sausage roll with a pastry brush. Sprinkle each roll with sesame seeds.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with ketchup, hot sauce, and spicy mustard.