Is there anything better than a truly no-fuss baking recipe? For this reason, we are turning towards the “slice and bake” method of cookie creation this season. They’re professional looking, super tasty, and, most importantly: insanely easy to make. Take your slice and bake cookies to the next level with this bold and festive holiday riff on these classic cookies. Get the full recipe for Marzipan Red + White Cookies below!
Marzipan Slice and Bake Cookies
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 4 hours
Yield: 2 dozen pinwheels or 4 dozen dots (or whatever you want to call them)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure almond extract
1 tablespoon red gel-based food color
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup (8 oz) marzipan, divided
Sanding sugar, to coat (optional)
- 1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar and egg and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the mixer and add the salt, extracts, and food coloring. Beat until well combined. Add the flour and and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide dough into two equal pieces and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour or overnight.
2. To make the pinwheels: Roll out one portion of dough on a lightly floured sheet of parchment into a rectangle about 8 by 12 inches. Repeat with second piece of dough. Divide the marzipan in half and roll each piece into 8- by 12-inch rectangles. Place one sheet of marzipan on each sheet of dough. Starting at the narrow end, roll each into a tight spiral. Wrap in parchment and refrigerate until very firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. To make the dots: Divide the marzipan in half. Using your hands, shape one piece of marzipan into a log about 3/4 inch diameter and about 18 inches long. Roll out one portion of dough into a rectangle about 4 inches wide and 18 inches long. Place marzipan log in the center of dough and wrap the dough tightly around the marzipan. Cut in half crosswise and wrap each piece in parchment paper. Repeat with remaining portion of dough and marzipan. Refrigerate until very firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll each log of cookies in sanding sugar to coat, if using. Slice dough into cookies about 1/4″ thick. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spaced about 1 inch apart. Bake until just firm to the touch, about 14-18 minutes. Cool completed on sheet pans. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.