As the philanthropic mastermind behind FEED products and FEED Suppers, which raise money to feed the hungry in America and worldwide (100 million meals and counting!), Lauren Bush Lauren knows a thing or two about entertaining.
We asked for her secrets to dinner party success. Read on for her tips + tricks for making people feel welcomed and right at home…
1. Enlist a friend’s help I’m the first to admit I’m not the most advanced chef, so I make it easier and more fun by inviting a friend to help me cook or create the menu.
2. Go family-style A guaranteed crowd-pleaser? Gluten-free pasta. There are lots of dietary restrictions these days, and as a vegetarian, I try to be accommodating. I love fresh pasta with organic veggies, a huge salad and a great wine. Serve the meal family-style—it’s casual, comfortable and fun.
3. Use place cards Plan your seating ahead of time with place cards to help spark interesting conversations. I love it when people make new + lasting connections.
4. Make a playlist Mellow, happy music like ‘70s folk rock—Fleetwood Mac, Carole King and the like—doesn’t overwhelm the conversation and always feels like the right vibe.
5. Make it meaningful My gatherings are often FEED Suppers, where the communal invitation to learn, donate and give back makes it all the more special. Our FEED Kits make it easy with 6 place settings, meaningful reminders of the reason you’ve gathered + a website where guests can donate meals to feed the 40+ million Americans living with hunger. Each dollar donated provides 10 meals to families in need!