Michael and Darroch Putnam are not just partners in marriage, but partners in crime—the dynamic, inexhaustibly prolific duo behind one of New York City’s most in-demand floral boutiques: Putnam & Putnam. As much visionaries as they are wunderkinds, the couple’s work has graced the tables of some of the area’s most prestigious events and the pages of magazines like Vogue and W. Their success, while swift, is not particularly surprising: the two have an aesthetic that is adventurous and otherworldly—and the passion and vitality to match it.
We recently partnered up with Putnam & Putnam to bring some of their unique aesthetic to our spring catalogs. Flipping through our February edition, you will find pages bedecked with all manner of Lush Life—a Williamsburg loft lined with plants; a fantastical dining room festooned with wall planters; terrariums that look like cross-sections of a forest floor. In-between putting together these gorgeous creations, Michael and Darroch took some time to share their tips getting the look for yourself. Take a look below!
1. Create a drainage basin for water—try ½” of pebbles under your potting soil.
2. To prevent root rod or mold, add ½” of activated charcoal atop the pebbles.
3. Pick your plantings strategically. Woodland greens need more water, while desert succulents require very little moisture.
4. Our favorite greens to use are maiden hair ferns, asparagus ferns, strawberry begonia, and tillandsia air plants.
5. If you want to incorporate flowers, we love miniature orchids, African violets, and begonias.