Some party foods are so addictive, guests occasionally need to be physically restrained. Blistered shishito pepers are one of those, and Todd + Diane of White on Rice Couple do not dissapoint with this recipe! Their take is a serious holiday party snack that’s full of heat + flavor, and perfect with a cold beer. Read on for the recipe – and if you like Todd + Diane’s style, check-out their Bountiful cookbook!
Blistered Shishito Peppers with Yuzu Kosho
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or other neutral tasting, high-flash-point oil)
1 teaspoon Yuzu Kosho
1⁄2 pound (225g) shishito peppers
Finely grated zest of 1⁄2 fresh lemon or yuzu
1⁄2 fresh lemon or yuzu
NOTE: Yuzu kosho is a Japanese chile paste made from the zest of Japanese yuzu citrus. You can find jars of high-quality yuzu kosho at Japanese specialty markets or online.
1. Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl it around the pan.
2. Add the yuzu kosho to the pan, stirring to spread it evenly.
3. Add the peppers to the pan and stir to coat them evenly with the yuzu kosho and oil.
4. Cook over high heat, stirring a couple times, for 3 minutes, or until the peppers are well blistered and tender.
5. Add the lemon or yuzu zest and stir to combine evenly.
6. Remove from the heat and plate. Squeeze fresh lemon or yuzu juice over the peppers, to taste. Serve immediately.
Todd Porter + Diane Cu are the photographers behind White On Rice Couple, where they share their love of connecting to people through good food, traveling, and stories. They’re also the authors of the Bountiful cookbook. You can follow them on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
SHOP THE LOOK
Images: White on Rice Couple