What’s a long summer weekend without a great cocktail?
Lavender isn’t an ingredient that we traditionally associate with cocktails, but after trying out Life of Geekery’s recipe for Lavender Gin Lemonade, we’re looking at it with totally fresh eyes. The infused gin adds an incredible floral flavor to this summertime cocktail!
Read on for the recipe…
Lavender Gin Lemonade
To make the Lavender Gin:
- 750ml / 25 ounces Gin
- 1 Tablespoon food grade lavender
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Drops of violet food colouring (optional)
What to do:
1. In a large sterilised bottle, combine the lavender, sugar and gin. Seal and leave in a cool dark place to infuse for 7 days.
2. Taste the gin, adding more sugar if necessary or leaving to build up a heavier floral flavour if you wish.
3. Once you’re satisfied with the results, strain through a muslin cloth of fine sieve to remove the lavender. At this point, you can enhance the colour by adding 2 drops of violet food colouring.
4. Lavender gin is perfectly paired with homemade lemonade for a refreshing Summer cool down but it also works well in a straight up martini or topped with a splash of tonic and served neat over ice.
To make the Lavender Gin Lemonade:
- 80 ml / 3 ounces lemon juice
- 45 ml / 1½ soda water
- 60 ml / 2 ounces simple syrup
- 45 ml / 1½ ounces lavender gin
What to do:
1. Combine the lemon juice, soda water and simple syrup in a large jug. Pour in to a tumbler over ice
2. Using the back of a bar spoon, pour the lavender gin slowly on to the top to create an ombre effect.
3. Garnish with a sprig of lavender – the perfect stirring tool, or a spiral of lemon zest.
Want more? Subscribe to Front + Main!
Vicki from Life of Geekery is a 20-something, food loving, tea drinking, self-confessed geek. Based just outside of the Lake District in the UK, she posts about anything from recipes to DIY tutorials. Most of the time you’ll find her on her sofa with a cup of earl grey tea + her dog by her side. Follow her on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.