Cinco de Mayo weekend is here, and let’s face it, you’re officially too cool for margarita mix.
Time to upgrade your party and take it outdoors with these sweet + minty strawberry mojitos, concocted by the talented Sarah Yates of A House In The Hills!
Read on for Sarah’s recipe, and visit A House In The Hills for the chance to win a full set of west elm barware, including our Quilted Acrylic Drinkware, Copper Bar Tools, and Metal Bendy Straws.
What You Need
- 3 cups of strawberries, stems removed
1 ½ Cups Sugar
Make The Strawberry Syrup
1. Combine strawberries, 1 ½ cups of water and 1 ½ cups of sugar in a heavy bottomed pot.
2. Bring water to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes, until it has thickened a bit and turned a deep pink color.
3. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer, removing strawberries. Set aside to cool.
Make A Mojito
1. In a drink shaker combine 2 oz of rum, 8 large mint leaves (torn), 1 lime wedge-squeezed, 1 oz of strawberry simple syrup, and fill halfway with ice.
2. Shake vigorously and pour into serving glass.
3. Fill to top with tonic water, and garnish with a strawberry and lime wedge.
Note From Sarah
“For these photos I added extra simple syrup to get the bright pink color! When made per the recipe, they’re a beautiful light pink. If you prefer them the bright pink shown, decrease the amount of sugar in the simple syrup to ¼ cup. It won’t thicken as much as a traditional simple syrup but it will be sweet enough to flavor the cocktails and give them the bright coloring! Adjust the simple syrup amount in the cocktail to your taste preference.”
Want more? Subscribe to Front + Main!
Photos: Sarah Yates