Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies by One Girl Cookies
We love One Girl Cookies, the Brooklyn bakery that also happens to be next door to our office. So it felt sort of like having a private serenade from a rock star when co-owners Dawn Casale + Dave Crofton baked us this batch of Lemon Rosemary Shortbread cookies in their own home! Read on for the recipe…
Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until the mixture is light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and rosemary and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stopping 2 to 3 times during mixing to scrape down the bowl. Mix until the dough is just beginning to come together. Do not over mix. Turn the dough out onto a cutting board. Dust lightly with flour and split the dough in half.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the cutting board, and put half of the dough on the parchment paper. Flatten the dough slightly with your hand and then top with a second sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough out between the two sheets of parchment paper to about 1/2 inch thickness. You can use a light dusting of flour if the dough is sticky. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
4. Using a cookie cutter, cut out the dough. Place cookies onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Reserve the scraps of dough; it can be rerolled to make more cookies. Sprinkle a pinch of Turbinado sugar on the top of each cookie.
5. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until they have a slight golden color around the edge. Let cool completely before serving.
Dawn Casale + Dave Crofton are the co-owners of One Girl Cookies, where they bake some amazing whoopie pies, cakes, and of course, cookies. You can order from One Girl Cookies online and have it shipped to your home! You can also follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.