Ashley Rodriguez has a passion for food that’s simple, seasonal, and delicious. And we’re a little bit obsessed with the jaw-dropping results that she shares on Not Without Salt, her award-winning blog.
Read on for Ashley’s recipe for a fresh and crunchy salad with a bright bite. It’s the perfect complement to the seasonal pizza recipes we posted last week, and a great way to enjoy the last of your summer produce!
Pickled Green Beans, Tomato, and Arugula Salad
In this salad the dressing doubles as a brine as blanched green beans sit in the bright, shallot laced dressing. They soak in the vinegar and then nestle up next to peppery arugula, sweet tomatoes and fragrant basil.
The beans should sit in the dressing for at least 30 minutes but you can also do this step the day before you plan to serve the salad.
For Pickling + Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon kosher salt
pepper to taste
- 12 oz haricot vert, cut ends trimmed slightly, blanched for 3-4 minutes and shocked in ice water
1 pint mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved or thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes (or a mix of both)
1 cup torn basil
2 cups (3 oz) arugula
1. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, shallots, honey, dijon, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Add the blanched haricot vert and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Just before serving, add the tomatoes, arugula and basil then toss to coat. Arrange on a platter then taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Ashley Rodriguez is an ex-pro pastry cook and the blogger behind Not Without Salt, the winner of Saveur’s Best Food Blog Award in 2013. You can follow Ashley’s food adventures on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
SHOP THE LOOK
Photos: Ashley Rodriguez