You’ve waited all year, but it’s finally grilling time! Jenny Park + Teri Lyn Fisher of Spoon Fork Bacon have created some simple-but-sophisticated recipes that will make you feel like a BBQ master, and they all look pretty fantastic. In this side dish, achiote and paprika impart a deep + smoky contrast to the sweet sunburst squash, a flavor that vegetarians and carnivores alike will love.
Achiote Grilled Sunburst Squash
- 1 1/4 lbs. sunburst quash, sliced crosswise
2 tablespoons achiote powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 lime, juiced
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/4 lbs. sunburst quash, sliced crosswise
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. (4-5 seconds using hand test) Place grill/grate pan over grill and preheat.
2. Place squash into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Place remaining ingredients, except 3 tablespoons oil, into a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
4. Pour marinade mixture over squash and toss together until completely combined.
5. Brush grill with remaining oil. Working in batches, place slices of squash onto heated grill/grate pan and grill on each side for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve.
Jenny Park + Teri Lyn are the cooks, bloggers, photographers, and food stylists masterminds behind Spoon Fork Bacon. They’ve been known to mix popcorn and donuts with excellent results. You can follow their mouth-watering exploits on Instagram + Facebook, and check out their book, Tiny Food Party!
SHOP THE LOOK
Images: Teri Lyn Fisher