How To Paint An Ombre Wall
We’ve gotten an amazing response from the ombré walls in our stores + catalog this summer! How’d you like one of your own? It’s actually easier than you think. Here are two different ways to recreate the look at home.
1. THE SINGLE-COLOR OMBRE WALL (For smaller accent walls.)
• Choose a dark paint color with plenty shade to fade.
• Paint the bottom half of your wall with a thick band of paint.
• While the wall is still wet, use a spray bottle of water to thin the top quarter of paint.
• Use a large natural sea sponge to spread and pat the paint up the wall.
• Gather more paint as needed from the middle and bottom parts of the wall, using your sponge to blend the color as you go.
2. THE MULTI-COLOR OMBRE WALL (For larger walls.)
• Choose three shades in a common palette: one dark, one medium, and one light.
• Cover the entire wall in the lightest color, then paint the bottom quarter of the wall in the darkest shade.
• Paint two more bands of color above this: one stripe with the medium paint, and one stripe with a lighter blend of medium + light paint.
• While your wall is still wet, take a dry paint brush and blend the borders between colors until they become a light-to-dark work of art.
Want more? Subscribe to Front + Main!