Hella Bitter makes fantastic small batch bitters right here in Brooklyn, and they’re sharing some of their favorite summer cocktails – both old classics and new creations – all season long!
“Punches tend to be too sweet, but this summer cocktail is perfectly bitter and really refreshing. Feel free to adjust the amount of syrup, but we can’t emphasize enough the importance of fresh lemon juice! This can be made by the bowl or pitcher.” – Hella Bitter
Right On Time Punch
- 16 oz (1 pint) Darjeeling Tea
6 oz Aged or Gold Rum
3 oz Cynar (If you can’t find Cynar you can use Averna or Ramazzotti instead. Don’t hesitate to ask at your favorite liquor store!)
1.5 oz Simple Syrup
1.5 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
5 Dashes Hella Bitter Aromatic Bitters
1. Brew the tea: Black tea doesn’t need to seep more than 7 minutes! Feel free to make this enough ahead of time.
2. Make the simple syrup: The basic simple recipe is 1:1 sugar to water. Bring to simmer on your stovetop and stir until all sugar is dissolved.
3. Combine all ingredients, adding bitters to taste. The fun thing about using bitters here is that it’s an amazing way to add a level of depth and complexity that most punches don’t have.
4. Garnish pitcher or bowl with 6 – 8 lemon wheels, and serve with ice.