5 Small Space Tips from Home Stylist Jessica Packard
1. It’s all about being more than what meets the eye. Take our Scoop-Back Chairs — if you really want to think outside of the box, use the chair as a nightstand. Style it out with magazines + a few necessary bedside details.
2. Flooring can do wonders! Live in a studio apartment? Use a rug to section off your living room from your bedroom or to add texture throughout.
3. Invite your walls to the party! Add shelves to open wall space for extra storage or showcase your favorite memories. Shelving can also allow you to build a feature in your home like a fireplace mantle or a kitchen spice rack.
4. I cannot stress the importance of a good balance of ambient, task and natural lighting. I recommend our Overarching Floor Lamp — you can tuck it under your sofa and or have it hang over for a fun touch to your living room.
5. Optical Illusions. Utilize mirrors to make the space feel larger or paint your ceilings a different color than your walls (I recommend a flat white) — both of these make your space seem larger.
Jessica’s knack for interior design graces both her blog, With Love, Design, and our San Diego store, where she works as a Home Stylist. Want more design advice? Ask about our free Home Stylist program at your local west elm!
SHOP SMALL SPACE SOLUTIONS