Hot Gingerbread Punch by St John Frizell of Fort Defiance
Hot Gingerbread Punch
Dark beer, dark rum, and lots of spices give this hot punch its distinctive gingerbread taste. A dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon complete this homage to the classic Christmas treat.
- 3 cups water
- 2 12-ounce bottles Guinness stout
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 12 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3 whole cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 orange
- 1½ cups dark rum (such as Gosling’s)
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon
- Combine first 7 ingredients in large saucepan.
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from orange in strips (orange part only) and add to stout mixture.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain liquid into bowl; discard solids in strainer.
- Cover and refrigerate punch at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine chilled punch and rum in large saucepan and bring to simmer over medium-low heat.
- Pour hot punch into small teacups or large demitasse cups.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with ground cinnamon.
Thanks St John!