Eat your vegetables and greens! Here’s another seasonal vegetarian side dish from Diana Yen of the Jewels of New York! The perfect complement to rich dishes like the Leek Bread Pudding with Crispy Wild Mushrooms, this fresh salad has hints of savory and sweet flavors…
Mixed Bitter Greens Salad with Beets and Grapefruit Segments
- 4 medium red beets, trimmed and quartered
- Place oven rack in the middle in the oven and preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap each beet with foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until softened, about 1 hour.
- Let the beets cool before handling. Using a paper towel, rub the beets to remove the skin and then slice beets thinly crosswise into wedges.
Bitter Greens + Grapefruit + Dressing
- ¾ lbs bitter greens, such as chicory, mustard greens, watercress, treviso or arugula
- 2 grapefruits, cut into segments, with juice and zest reserved
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved grapefruit juice, zest, sherry vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil and salt. Whisk until emulsified.
- Toss the greens with the dressing and top with the beets and grapefruit segments. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
SHOP COOK + SERVE WARE
• Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
• Recipe: Haricots Verts with Crispy Shallots
• Recipe: Spiced Bourbon Cider
• west elm | Gather Together
• Jewels of New York Kitchen Essentials