Another great seasonal vegetarian side dish from Diana Yen of the Jewels of New York! Creamy leeks and cheese topped off with crispy wild mushrooms and a touch of truffle oil!
Leek Bread Pudding with Crispy Wild Mushrooms
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms, thinly shaved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the mushrooms evenly in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then stir and turn.
- Continue to roast mushrooms until tender and lightly browned around the edges, about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly; drizzle with truffle oil to finish.
Leek Bread Pudding
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unslated butter, extra for greasing
- 4 cups leeks, sliced ½-inch thick (white and light green parts only)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- ⅔ cup comte (or gruyere), shredded
- 2 loaves brioche (or challah), cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- ½ cup crispy mushrooms (above)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat; add leeks and season with salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft and carmelize, 10-15 minutes; season with pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, which together eggs, milk, cream, a generous pinch of salt, pepper, numeg and comte; add the leeks to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Line the bottom of a buttered baking dish with the cubed bread.
- Pour enough of the custard mixture to cover the bread; let soak for about 10 minutes.
- Place dish into oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the egg-mixture is set and the top is brown and bubbling.
- Remove from own and scatter with crispy mushrooms and chives to finish.
SHOP COOK + SERVE WARE
• Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
• Recipe: Haricots Verts with Crispy Shallots
• Recipe: Spiced Bourbon Cider
• west elm | Gather Together
• Jewels of New York Kitchen Essentials