Leek Bread Pudding with Crispy Wild Mushrooms from Jewels of New York
Another great seasonal vegetarian side dish from Diana Yen of the Jewels of New York! Creamy leeks and cheese topped off with crispy wild mushrooms and a touch of truffle oil!
Leek Bread Pudding with Crispy Wild Mushrooms
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms, thinly shaved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the mushrooms evenly in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then stir and turn.
- Continue to roast mushrooms until tender and lightly browned around the edges, about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly; drizzle with truffle oil to finish.
Leek Bread Pudding
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unslated butter, extra for greasing
- 4 cups leeks, sliced ½-inch thick (white and light green parts only)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- ⅔ cup comte (or gruyere), shredded
- 2 loaves brioche (or challah), cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- ½ cup crispy mushrooms (above)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat; add leeks and season with salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft and carmelize, 10-15 minutes; season with pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, which together eggs, milk, cream, a generous pinch of salt, pepper, numeg and comte; add the leeks to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Line the bottom of a buttered baking dish with the cubed bread.
- Pour enough of the custard mixture to cover the bread; let soak for about 10 minutes.
- Place dish into oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the egg-mixture is set and the top is brown and bubbling.
- Remove from own and scatter with crispy mushrooms and chives to finish.
SHOP COOK + SERVE WARE
• Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
• Recipe: Haricots Verts with Crispy Shallots
• Recipe: Spiced Bourbon Cider
• west elm | Gather Together
• Jewels of New York Kitchen Essentials