Garnished with spicy seeds, this hearty soup is a classic crowd pleaser. Diana Yen of the Jewels of New York shares her recipe for savory seasonal soup — one part of a family-style dinner designed for slow, soulful grazing and sharing.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the pumpkin seeds, olive oil and spice mixture. Toss until well combined.
- Spread the seeds evenly along the sheet pan and bake on the top rack until seeds begin to brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced, white parts only
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 pounds pumpkin (or any winter squash), peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2½ quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- ¾ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup spiced pumpkin seeds (recipe above!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat.
- Add the onion and leeks and saute until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and nutmeg to the pan. Continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the pumpkin, potato and stock. Bring to a boil then cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup.
- Reheat gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer soup to bowls and garnish each with a tablespoon of creme fraiche, chopped cilantro and spiced pumpkin seeds.
SHOP COOK + SERVE WARE