Beans Ragout with Poached Eggs from Superette
While in Cape Town, we stopped by Superette for a delicious serving of Beans Ragout with Poached Eggs…
Beans Ragout with Poached Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 grams (about ¾ of an ounce) dried mushrooms
- 1 onion — cut in half. Leave the root end intact for easy removal!
- 2 garlic cloves — smashed
- 1 handful thyme
- 1 liter (4 ¼ cups) water
- In a medium pot, saute mushrooms, onion halves, garlic and thyme in bit of oil.
- Add water, bring to boil. Once boiling, turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain stock. Discard onion halves, garlic and thyme. Retain mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms back to stock and pulse in blender and until smooth.
- 16 ounces of mixed beans, cooked with rosemary until soft
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions choped into cubes
- 1 green pepper — seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper — seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can tomato puree
- 1 cup red wine — (good beer will work, too!)
- prepared mushroom stock
- 1 stick rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot heat olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add peppers, cayenne, paprika and butter.
- Cook until nicely browned.
- Add tomatoes + puree, garlic, wine, mushroom stock, cooked beans, rosemary and the bay leaf.
- Cook for 45 minutes — Ragout should cook to a thick sauce.
- Season to taste.
Serve Ragout on toast and top with a poached egg or two.
• Places to Eat in South Africa: Superette