Mother’s Day Ice Cream Treats by Joy Cho of Oh Joy!
Moms always get breakfast in bed, but why not treat her to a sweet treat instead with an ice cream party perfect for you and your favorite lady. This is an easy and fun idea for Mother’s Day — and Mom gets to try a bunch of different ice cream flavors! The Ice Cream Cups double as vases so Mom can use them to hold her favorite blooms when not indulging in a frozen treat.
With a little planning and prep, this project can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
• a variety of fresh flowers
• variety of Mom’s favorite ice creams (I used salted caramel, green tea, and strawberry)
• Ice Cream Cups
• Olive Wood Egg Cups
• variety of small bowls & additional egg cups
• fun spoons — these are from my upcoming collaboration with Leif!
• cloth or paper napkins in fun patterns
How to Make a Sweet Treat
Start by filling 2 of the 4 ice cream cups with water to hold the flowers — this can be done the day before so the flowers have time to settle and bloom. Cut a mix of flowers to the desired height for the cup and layer them in. I like to mix one of two different kinds in different colors so that they’re not perfectly symmetrical and kind of quirky, too.
Put out your place settings which includes one ice cream cup for each of you, and some smaller egg cups for sampling other flavors. Add some extra bowls for cookies (to make ice cream sandwiches, or any extra toppings) as well as napkins and fun spoons.
Scoop the ice cream last just before you’re ready to serve mom her special treat!
Tips + More
- If I was to do this again, I would fill up some of the mini bowls with toppings like sprinkles, nuts, and other bits for added crunch and texture.
- Try your hand at Animal Shaped Ice Cream Sandwiches…
Joy Deangdeelert Cho is the founder of Oh Joy!, a blog that covers inspiration and design with a focus on Joy’s favorite things: design, fashion, and food. Connect with Joy on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.